Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
If you’ve accidentally deleted an important WhatsApp message, don’t worry. This guide will show you how to restore deleted WhatsApp messages without a backup on your iPhone or Android phone.
While restoring WhatsApp from Google Drive or iCloud is an option, many users may not have made a backup or cannot restore from Google Drive. However, there are tools available and steps you can follow to recover WhatsApp chats without a backup.
This guide will walk you through these options in detail.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: If you delete a message and backup your archive, the deleted message will be lost forever. To recover a deleted message, cancel any automated backups and do not back up anything manually.
How To Restore Deleted WhatsApp Messages On Android.
- First, delete WhatsApp from your phone, then reinstall it.
- You will have to do the whole setup again with your phone number and verify the number. You must also have your two-step authentication number ready if you had that set up with the previous installation.
- Once you have verified your number, it will tell you if it has detected a backup on Google Drive. If it has, it will invite you to restore it. If you tap SKIP, bear in mind that you will not be able to restore from Google Drive without uninstalling and reinstalling again. But you can select SKIP if you intend to restore from a local backup.
- Your backup will now be downloaded to your phone and restored.
- Once the backup has been completed, you’ll be asked to fill in your display name and enter your two-factor authentication code again. Then your messages will appear on the screen.
Restoring From a Local Backup.
If you have backed up your WhatsApp archive to your device’s local storage, or an SD card, this is how you can restore it.
- Use a file manager like Google Files to access your phone’s internal storage.
- Find the WhatsApp folder.
- When you find the folder, go to Databases
- Find the file in that folder that you want to restore (likely the most recently dated one) and change its name to the previous file. In this case, it would be msgstore.db.crypt14.And chanege it to msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt14.
- Now uninstall WhatsApp, reinstall it, and go through the initial setup again.
- When it comes time to restore a backup, since there’s no Google Drive backup to detect, it will detect the local storage version instead.
- Select Restore.
How To Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages On iPhone.
Restoring deleted WhatsApp messages on an iPhone can only be done through an iCloud backup since iPhones do not support SD cards or local storage restoration.
The process is similar to restoring an Android phone from Google Drive. First, uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your iPhone, set up and verify your number, and then select the “Restore” option.
This will detect your iCloud backup and allow you to reset everything. The process is simplified by the iCloud backup feature on iPhones.